Currently, the effect of not having good quality air in the home is understated. The average person spends 92% of their time indoors*, indicating how vital the indoor living environment is to the health of its occupants.
*road.cc 18/02/17. The survey undertaken by Ribble Cycles on more than 1000 adults in Britain.
Ventilation is required for one or more of the following purposes:
- provision of outside air for breathing;
- dilution and removal of airborne pollutants, including odours;
- control of excess humidity (arising from water vapour in the indoor air)
The following indicates in more details the problems we have around our homes, which in turn highlights the reasons why ventilation will benefit you and your family;
Indoor Air Quality
We inhale and exhale approximately 17,000 to 30,000 times a day. By sealing up our homes we are breathing in a variety of toxins and pollutants. Over the past decade, we have become increasingly energy conscious and this has contributed to our homes being sealed off from an essential supply of fresh air, resulting in us living and breathing in stale, contaminated, humid air. This is why our homes can make us ill.
Poor home air quality can be caused by
- How buildings are ventilated
- Room temperature
- Damp and condensation
- How we heat, cook, iron and wash in our homes, causing humidity
- Tobacco smoke
- The presence of things that we’re allergic to, such as dust mites (in carpets, chairs and cushions) or pets
- Chemicals we use when we clean or decorate
- The toxic vapours, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) when using aerosols.
- Building materials used
- Pollution that has come indoors from outside
If there is insufficient ventilation in your kitchen, cooking odours and grease can accumulate in curtains and blinds. The finish damage on cabinets can be increased by condensation of acidic substances and therefore reduces the lifetime of your décor.
Ventilation is also critical in the bathroom. Whether it is a family bathroom, cloakroom or en suite; a good ventilation system will eliminate hot and sticky air whilst decreasing mildew, peeling and discolouration of wallpaper and paintwork caused by moist air and contaminants.
Call Pete on 07790 015742 or e-mail [email protected]